Dental implants are posts that are surgically placed into the jawbone to provide a stable, permanent replacement for missing teeth. A natural tooth consists of a root and a crown. The crown is the visible part of the tooth that we can see when smiling or talking. The root is below the gum line and holds the tooth securely in place in the jaw. When a tooth is lost or removed, the entire structure of the tooth must be replaced, including the root. If the root of a natural tooth is not replaced, bone loss will occur over time, and the jaw will eventually become less healthy and less functional. For this reason, dental implants are the only permanent solution for the replacement of missing teeth.
How Dental Implants Work
A dental implant is a titanium post that is surgically implanted into the jawbone, where it replaces the root of a tooth that is missing. Dental implants are made of biocompatible materials, which means that your jawbone will bond with the implant over time and hold it in place. Once the implant has fused with the jawbone, it is permanently affixed, and permanent crowns or dentures can be placed on the implant. This restorative dentistry treatment offers many benefits, including being able to eat the foods you love with ease and confidence while preventing further bone loss in the jaw.
Advantages of Dental Implants
- Dental implants replace lost teeth roots. This prevents bone loss and loss of other teeth.
- Since they are attached to the teeth, they do not have to be removed by the patient and can be cleaned in the same way as natural teeth.
- The dental implant has a natural shape, so it is easier to integrate into the mouth than other types of replacement teeth. This makes it more comfortable for the patient in the long term.
- They can last for decades with proper care.
- They are durable and strong.
- There are no dietary restrictions for patients who have dental implants.
- They are easier to care for than traditional removable dentures.
Are Dental Implants Right for You?
Dental implants are a permanent tooth replacement solution, but they are not ideal for everyone. The ideal candidate has healthy gums and enough bone structure to support the implant. They are small titanium posts that take the place of your missing tooth’s roots and provide a strong base for a custom-made crown or bridge.
You may be a good candidate for dental implants if you’ve lost a tooth due to gum disease, an accident, or other reasons. To find out for sure, get a dental examination from our dentist.
If you want more information about restoring your beautiful and healthy smile through dental implants, visit The Dentists LLC at 870 Palisade Avenue, Suite 301A, Teaneck, NJ 07666, or call (201) 836-2720.